Monday, August 18, 2008

My Big Mouth

Now that I've opened up to people about infertility, I feel like I can't shut up! Yesterday we went to Dis*neyland with some friends from church. I'll call them the 'L' family. They have four kids ages 16 to 9. They all like each other. Seriously. It's the type of family that you want to emmulate without being creepy. How do you get a family to like each other so much!? Now, they're not perfect, no. The 16 year old is mean to the 7th grader, etc. I just felt like I had to askabout how they rasied such neat kids, and then of course, the conversation went to infertility.
I have to say, it's not as scary as I thought.
We talked about where we're at with treatment, where we want to be, and possibilities in the future. So far I haven't felt any reprecussions of sharing with trusted friends at church. And it is so freeing to talk about it.
So now you all want to know, what are the 'L' family secrects to raising good kids? Hug them and spank them as much as possible until they're five. That is of course my summary, but it lends a good question, what do you guys think about spanking? I'll leave my opinion out of this for now, just curious here.
Thoughts?

2 comments:

I Believe in Miracles said...

I feel the same way. I'm slowly taking some baby steps and telling a couple people. It's been really good for me - and to try and reach out to other people I know are struggling. Yeah us!!

I love their "secret to success". Pretty funny. I have to admit, I was spanked. I think the last time was when I was 9, but after age 7 it was rare. My mom rarely spanked me, it was mostly my dad. I'm not sure if I want to spank or not. Mentally, I'm not sure if I can spank my child, however, I don't think time outs are as effective. Grr. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

What are your thoughts?

Hope2morrow said...

I think it depends on the child. For some kids, I think it would hurt them more mentally. For others, I think a spanking (but never in public) works better. Of course, I don't have kids yet, so I'm sure my opinion might change once I have my own.