Thursday, May 3, 2012

This is:

Hard!  I'm telling you, staying at home with an almost 2 year old and a 5 1/2 week old is HARD!  I love my girls.  Wouldn't change them for anything.  But this job is not for the weak.  I don't want to forget the details, so this is just a description of our day yesterday.  Nothing out of the ordinary.
1:30 AM - Penelope wakes up for her feeding (3 oz, no breastmilk - my theory is that formula helps her sleep a little longer).  We both go back to sleep around 2:30. 
4:30 AM - Penelope wakes up.  Takes another 3 ounces plus breastfeeds for about 5 min first.  I go back to sleep around 5:30.
7:00 AM - Macie wakes up.  I heard her crying a few times during the night (not huge crying, but enoug to know that she was awake).  She is still in her toddler bed and so far (fingers crossed) hasn't gotten our of her room.  She will sometimes be found on the floor with her blankets in the morning, and once or twice I've found her reading/playing with her books, but mostly she is staying in her bed.  I go get her.  We get dressed, change diaper, and get breakfast started (toast with Jelly and a banana and milk).  I eat the same thing at the same time she does.
8:00AM - Peneleope has been awake for about half an hour and cried off and on for some of that.  But it's time to eat.  She breastfeeds for about 20 minutes and then eats about 2 ounces (each feeding after this is just about the same thing).  This still takes about an hour.  While she's eating I let Macie watch TV (this has only really started since her sister was born.  Lots more TV than I want, but it's SO hard to entertain her while her sister is eating).  We started with Sid the Sc.ience Kid.
9:00 AM- We start getting ready to go to Tar.get. 
9:30 AM - leave for target.  Go to the bank first.  I have to use the double stroller and apple slices to keep Macie entertained in the 15 minute line.  Macie is talking to everyone else in line.  Penny sleeps. 
10:00 AM - Get to target.  Put Penny in the Erg.o carrier and Macie in the cart. It's really hard to lift a toddler when you have an infant strapped to you  (b.t.w.).  Target is relatively easy, EXCEPT that Macie has taken to pinching me.  It's not a real pinch (she doesn't squeeze) but I don't know why she does this and I'm obviously trying to shut this down.  At home I'll give her time out, but in a cart in the middle of target when I have Penny, how on earth do I reprimand her (I told her No very sternly).  She didn't seem to care.
11:10 AM - get home.  Feed Penny, Macie watches a little more TV (Mickey  M.ouse club - the Hot Dog dance at the end is my favorite).
12:00PM - Put Penny in the swing, feed Macie and myself (PB&J - yougurt and peaches for Macie.  Mostly the same for me).
12:45 PM:  Macie goes down for her nap.  Penny is still in her swing.  Can I get anything done?
1:00 PM:  Nope.  Penny is fussy.  I let her cry for about 20 minutes to get a few things done, but then I feel bad and get her.  We hang out until 2:00 when she eats again.
2:00:  Penny eats.
3:00:  Play with Penny and have a snack. Penny falls asleep and I think to myself that I could maybe take a bath? 
3:30:  Bath!  Book! 
3:38: Penny has been crying the whole time.  Macie has been awake since about 3:15, but I am letting her lie because she was so cranky this AM and didn't sleep well last night.  She's not crying, just singing.  Out of the Bath.
3:50:  Macie is up.  Start thinking about dinner.  Let's make sloppy Joe's.  Macie plays with on the counter.  This girl is in a much better mood.  She can now climb onto the barstools by herself (yikes!).  She loves the play dough.  But lots of it is dropping onto the floor as she plays.  I make dinner.  Penny is in the bouncy seat.  Sit down to the computer to try to order legal forms (we realized we don't have a will but need to take care of that in case something happens to us).  Penny is now fully awake and has been crying for about 10 minutes.  No computer time now.
5:00: Penny eats
5:45:  Mom and Macie eat (Dh has a coaches meeting after school today or we'd wait for him for dinner).  Penny needs to be held for most of mom's meal.
6:15:  Dh is home and we pack the kids up to go to costc.o. 
6:30:  leave for co.stco.  Use two carts (that's why I watied for him.  I don't really love shopping with both girls by myself if I can help it.  I feel like such a tar.get for bad people).
7:30:  head home.
7:45:  put stuff away, bath time for Macie (thank you DH for bathing her!)
8:00:  Feed Penelope - this time 4 ounces of formula before breastfeeding.  She eats it all (just slowly).  She is wide awake.  usually she can be put right to bed, but not tonight.  Dh gets some cuddles in with her while i make a snack for us.
8:15:  Read Macie two books (again Dh takes the lead on all of this while Penny is eating.  But we read together.  Pray, put Macie to bed.)
9:30:  Penny is double swaddled (she wears just a diaper and then is wrapped in two blankets.  this is sometimes successful at helping her sleep longer - not as easy to break out of the swaddle).
10:00:  Me to bed (no idea what time Dh hit the hay, I was out).

Penny didn't wake up until 4:15 (Horray!).  This gave me almost 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep.  I fed her and then realized I should try to get a few things knocked off my to do list while both girls are sleeping.  I just felt so tired and emotionally spent yesterday.  I don't know how this reads, but it was a fairly average day.  Tuesdays I have my mommy's group from my church (which I LOVE) and a creative meeting on Tuesday afternoons for my church. I take Penny to that, but my mom watches Macie for that.  I was so tired last night that i called my mom and asked her to come over today to help me.  I may go to the gym for a little bit and then come back and try to get some laundry done while my mom helps me watch the girls.  It's not that I can't get the laundry done,b ut it takes 3 times as long and that makes my mind go crazy.

And now, onto some lighter fare:

Here are just a few pictures of how awesome my girls are.  Macie will now leave her sunglasses on and it's hilarious.  Penny is going to be 6 weeks tomorrow!  And of course, matching dresses from Nana.
I hope this post doesn't come off as a complaint.  I love my girls and love holding them.  But as I said, this is HARD, Hard work.  I don't want to forget what each day is like, mostly because I know that in just a few weeks everything will be different again.  What an adventure we are on.  I'm grateful for those around me who can help.
Happy Thursday everyone.  Here's hoping you are all getting more sleep than me!


Becca said...

You are doing an amazing job!! I only have 1 kid... and I know how much work it is for me everyday. So, anyone who does what I do x 2 is amazing to me!

Your post reminds me of a sign I saw the other day that said:

"My list of things to do today":

1. wake up
2. survive
3. go to bed

haha!... isnt that the truth most days?? As long as everyone is fed and still breathing at the end of the day, then you get an A+ in my book girlfriend!!

You're doin good Momma!


beth ewing said...

found your blog off of Erins and I can so relate. I have an almost 6 year old and just turned 2 year old boy. I also have a 6 month old daughter though and having the 2 just 18 months apart was hard. That's how my days felt. But I can say (now that I"m on the other side) that it WILL get easier. You'll get in a rhythm.

I Believe in Miracles said...

I just hung out with my SIL and her 2 kids, and seriously, she's dealing with the same thing. It's so funny how you just want to stay home with one, but then realize it's so much work with 2. You can do it! And you're right, in a few weeks, everything will be different.