Friday, June 13, 2008

My story...

If you're reading this you may want to know more about me. I am 29 and have been married since new years eve '05. It was fabulous. We were on birth control for about 6 months before we decided we wanted to start our family. But you see, even at that point we weren't naive. Not because we had health issues, but because we had known a few people who had problems getting pregnant. So we figured we would pray about it and get started!
We didn't get pregant right away, but maybe that was just the birth control. In the fall, a coworker that I had talked with about getting pregnant and timing got pregnant. Once that happened she never asked me again about getting pregnant. I think she just felt bad or embarassed. Her son is now 12 months old. I'm still not pregnant.
But after a year of trying most months (but let's face it, that window wasn't hit each month) I decided to get tested. Each summer I have a physical and at that appointment I mentioned to my general physician (actually, the PA who is a woman and I'm much happier to have her to my paps) that we had been trying for over a year. She referred me that day to the RE and my husband for a SA. My husband went, all is fine. Counts are off the charts. On to me. I hemmed and hawed for a few months (thinking 'this can't really be about me, can it?!') and in October finally had the intake with the RE and the vag ultrasound. Everything looked normal sans the little bit of extra fluid which could be a sign of endo. They even saw a big follacle telling them that I was headed for ovulation. We decided to continue with testing (HSG and bloodwork) if this cycle failed - there was a perfectly good egg, why wait? When I didn't get pregnant, I figured it was the holiday's and I didn't want to worry about testing. If I'm not pregnant by Spring, than I'll do the testing.
So I put everything off and didn't get pregnant and finally my conscious got the best of me. In May I went for the HSG (thank you SQandSPJ for the information, they didn't even tell me to bring a pad!) and bloodwork. BW looked fine and normal. HSG showed my right ovary is partially blocked. The Dr. said that since I still have one fabulous ovary (thank you leftie) that I shouldn't worry. And that since I'm only 29 I'm so young... blah blah blah.
SO, he recommended clomid with ultrasound monitoring with a trigger shot for ovulation for a few months. But after reading up, I don't know why clomid will help when I appear to ovulate normally. But I am thrilled about the monitoring part. I feel like that is what is going to help. Do you think it could really only be bad timing? For this long? But if there's only one ovary getting an egg into the tubes... I think I'm grasping for straws.
But, at least we're doing something. Two years this month. Not what I expected.

2 comments:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Here's to first steps. And I'm glad you left a comment on my blog because now I've found yours too.

kirke said...

I'm new to the blog world too. My doctor also said my next step is Clomid and that confused me as I ovulate normally. Well, the hundreds of dollars I've spent on ovulation tests say I do anyway...