Monday, March 30, 2009

Womb for Sale

God's word says that there is nothing to fear that is bigger than God. Even though our enemies (in this case, my brain is the enemy) want to 'eat our flesh' that God is with us and there is nothing to fear.
I am afraid to move forward with IVF.
I'm also afraid NOT to move forward with IVF.

Why am I afraid? I'll make a list:
Money
What if I don't get my job back after this year and now we have a kid and baby debt without a job
Not having enough money
All of the time it takes to go through this IVF process - will my job and DH's job be forgiving?

Why take the risk?
God said that if I follow Him and delight myself in Him that He will give me the desires of my heart. I believe I am following and delighting in Him, and I still have a deep urge to be a mother.
Therefore:
IVF here we come. Location TBA, womb for sale.

Did any of you brave ladies have fear about making that first phone call? I'm thinking tomorrow. I'm also waiting for my tax return. Let's get that baby wheel turning?

* questions: how long did it take from first phone call to actually get through the IVF process? Meaning, once you and your doc decided to go for IVF, did you have lots of meetings and did that take time, or did you go through all of this quickly? Any info you lovely ladies had would be wonderful.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I was actually excited to make the call and then nervous once I was sitting in the doc's office. But once you get that first visit over with, you are so excited to get started! It's usually over a month from beginning to end (depending upon protocol). If they put you on birth control for a month (before starting), it's around 2 months. I'll tell you when time starts flying...once you start the hormone injections. You are retrieving eggs before you know it! :)

I'm so excited for you guys! Praying, praying, praying...

((HUGS))

I Believe in Miracles said...

Well - I started going to the RE office at the end of Feb. I did all sort of testing for a month and then they opted to do clomid/IUIs. Then I had to wait 2 months for insurance approval. We did 3 rounds of IUI. During the first one, the possibility of IVF was mentioned. The 3rd IUI was a toss up. I got an apt in Sept, and we got the ball rolling pretty quick. I happened to get into a class for the injections and skipped the BCP and just used abstinence and we had our ER in October. Now you know I ended up with OHSS and they refused to transfer, so then it took another 2 months to do the FET.

My IRL friend has had to go through the initial testing and then her cycles have all been off, hasn't been able to get into a class, and other complications. So although she started the process in Dec, she isn't able to start the until sometime in April doing the ER/ET in May.

I think it depends on cycle. If you already have all your pre-testing done, you might be able to move pretty quickly. In general an IVF cycle overlaps 2 months, with the first month starting on cd21 with meds. At least that's been my experience.

Email me if you have more questions.

I'm so excited for you. I know the big step is scary, but I'm praying that this one is it for y'all.

~~HUGS~~

Felicia said...

Like you I am on the fence with the IVF process. My RE has started sneaking that phrase into our conversations now. We just learned that both of my fallopian tubes are blocked and we are discussing the options for opening them up, but then he sneaks IVF in there and now we are thinking.

According to him, using his protocols and such the entire process may take as long as 2-3 months depending on your situation. He tells potentials to plan for egg retrieval 2 months after the initial visit - that is if everything goes as planned.

Best Wishes.

Leslie Laine said...

I had a lot of ambivalence about getting started, and frankly, it was never something I felt excited about even though I wanted to. I think I was too scared.

It took us awhile to get through the process after the initial consult because there were certain things she required that I hadn't been through yet (SIS and clomid challenge).

My advice is that it gets easier and less scary once you get started. It was amazing how much easier it was to do and to accept once the shots were in motion. That was when the excitement started for me. And once you start those stims, it moves along really, really quickly. You're getting so much feedback every day, and it seems like things are constantly in motion at that point.

You're going to make it - it just takes a tremendous amount of faith and courage, which you undoubtedly have.

Thinking of you and praying as you start this process.