Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dr. Ta ta's

So I met the new Doctor. And while the nickname for her may or may not be appropriate in your mind, it is with my husband and I. First of all, her name isn't too far away from that. Second, she just had a baby girl 3 months ago. Third, she wore a dress yesterday at our appointment that left nothing in the general 'chestical' region to be desired.
And I liked her for it.
Not because she had saggy mom boobs, but because I believe she's gonna be a good doctor.
Compared to our first doctor (who once wore his belt inside out and constantly wore winnie the po.o ties), she was way on the ball.
But, the appointment was not all giggles. Here's what we found.
My blood pressure is high. We took it 3 times and while the diastolic finally changed back to a good number, the first one did not. So the doctor is sending me for a 24 hour urine test. I have yet to ask Dr. Google what this means, have any of you ladies had this done? Something about peeing in cups all day was brought to my attention.
The second thing we found was that I am measuring big. I am currently 25 weeks and I measured 28 yesterday. Now this is a 3 1/2 centemeter difference, but apparently when you measure uteri with a measuring tape all day you're pretty good at this. But my big question is, that pre pregnancy/post 3 years of ttc, I have a nice fluffy fat layer on my stomach (and I'm not being cute, I really do), so doesn't that affect things? But then again, Dr. Winnie the p.oo always measured me and never found that I was measuring big, so may Dr. Ta Ta's is right. BUT, reason why we like Dr. Ta Ta's is that she's being proactive and sending me for an ultrasound to check the size of the baby.

Which leads me to my next question:
Since we did IVF, and I know exactly when we transferred the embryo's, doesn't that mean that we know for a fact within 5 days of when the embryo implanted? So I suppose it will tell us if the baby is growing too big (I'm also due for the glucose test next week), but it seems like measuring for the due date is silly. But I know she's just measuring for the general size of the baby.

So yeah, it was a big day. I'm not too worried, but then again, I haven't asked Dr. Google yet, so maybe I should just chill and not do that yet.
I'll post more when I know more, but if you have any info about the urine/bp test or anything else you think is helpful, let me know!

Happy Rainy Thursday to you!

3 comments:

Roberts Family said...

Your doc is probably checking your urine for proteins that would indicate that you have preeclampsia. It sounds like she's being really proactive to get as much info as possible, so she can best treat you!

Gabby said...

YAY! i have opinions on both of your topics!!

I had high blood pressure pre-pregnancy. I am so thankful the babies are helping to control it. But you are a few weeks ahead of me, and the HBP sometimes start back up again or starts for the first time in the 3rd trimester.

The 24-hour urine test is for the kidneys. Need to see if your kidneys are functioning properly. it's easy, as tests go, but you need to have the jug with you at all times.

As far as the measuring, I wouldn't put much stock into it. Before they had ultrasounds, they only had outside measurement and weight gain to guess if babies were growing properly. Now we have so much more. I measured 24 weeks at my 16 week appointment, but my weight gain for about half as much as "normal" -- every body is different and the way we carry our babies is different.

D said...

The urine will show if you have other signs of preeclampsia or HELLP syndrome. You may be measuring big because there is excess amniotic fluid, which the ultrasound will show. Good luck!